[VHFcontesting] Roving in one grid ?

Darryl Holman djholman at u.washington.edu
Wed Jun 17 12:44:37 EDT 2015

Nope.  The Single Op category most definitely DOES NOT permit mobile
operation, with one minor exception.    That minor exception is that a
person can be mobile, keeping the station within a 500m circle and be
legal for Single Op.  In other words, you can drive around part of your
neighborhood.     Once the station makes a QSO more than 500m away from
the point of any previous QSO, it no longer qualifies as Single Op or
any other category except rover (for VHF contests) because the equipment
has exceeded the 500m circle.   (And, of course, a rover must make at
least one QSO in another grid.)

This disagreement boils down to interpretation of General Rule 3.7.
("All transmitters and receivers must be located within a 500-meter
diameter circle, excluding antennas").

The correct interpretation is that the equipment must stay within a 500m
circle of a geographic point.      Reading the rule to suggest the 500m
circle can be moved during the contest is absurd.

Best,
   Darryl
   ww7d