[VHFcontesting] What's your favorite IF radio?

Dan Evans dan.evans at insightbb.com
Thu Mar 12 21:03:11 EDT 2015

Hello group,

I'm planning to add a new transverter for 222 to the Rover line up, so I've
been thinking about IF rigs for the past few days.

Currently, I have an HTX-10 that I modified for low level drive I plan to
use.  However, the HTX-10 has a couple of serious faults.  First and
foremost, the transmit audio is horrible.  The stock mic really sucks, so
I'm planning to wire up a different hand mic.  Hopefully this will fix the
audio problem.  The second problem is the lack of CW mode.  My plan here is
to wire up a sound card interface so I can use the computer to send CW.
Somewhat of a hassle, but it should work.

Given the faults of the HTX-10, I have considered just getting a different
IF rig.  I wish I could go buy a new KX-3, or one of the fancy new FLEX
setups, but I can't afford that.  I'm thinking more along the line of the
HTX-100, or an HR-2510.

So, what's your favorite IF rig?  Why?

73

Dan

--
K9ZF
Amateur Radio Emergency Service, Clark County Indiana. EM78el