[VHFcontesting] Rover rendezvous in Gap PA?

Pete K0BAK via VHFcontesting vhfcontesting at contesting.com
Tue Mar 17 11:15:30 EDT 2015

I didn’t expect my recent solicitation (3/12) for a rover rendezvous
to elicit so many negative opinions about the activity. It seemed to
dredge up some old bad feelings, including some kind of East Coast /
West Coast thing, based on controversies that occurred
long before I became active last year. Wasn’t my intention to stir
things up; I just noticed the rules allowed up to 100 rover-to-rover
QSOs and it seemed like a smart thing to max out especially for Limited
rovers where *one* rendezvous of two 4-band rovers could generate 64 QSOs
for each. I’d like to respond just once here and then I’ll head back
to my hole, and not respond or bring it up here on the reflector again
(for now).

1) Some writers seemed to react as if I was suggesting spending the
whole contest just contacting another rover. I believe I was clear
that I was only suggesting a rendezvous in the last few hours at the end
of a contest when conventional contacts dry up. (At least that’s been my
observation in my limited experience.)

2) A couple writers implied that a single rendezvous was a substitute
for improving my station or operator skills: that one hurt a bit.
First of all, that’s flawed logic – one can do both of course.
Second, I have been working hard improving my rover station. As I wrote
that email, I had (and have) a dining room table full of stuff in my
current project to convert from an “all-mode” radio (ICOM IC-7100) to
SDR-driven transverters to improve receive capabilities, and I am spending
a couple grand on improving transmit power by 4-8dB on the 4 Limited bands.
As to operator skills, I’m not sure how to improve except through practice
(and learning Morse someday). I have also read many rover blogs and have
asked questions here and in private emails (the responses to which I sincerely
appreciate), but there’s a limited amount of specific actionable advice
about how to operate and how to choose amongst the many tradeoffs for planning
and executing a rove … I’m still listening for specific advice though.

3) Everyone can have their own opinion, but in my opinion anything that’s
allowed by the rules of a contest (and ones club’s rules if applicable) are
fair game. The rules are the rules, there’s no separate morality or “spirit”
for a ham contest. Going out to make contacts outside of my immediate area,
trying to maximize contacts via a good travel plan, discovering good rover
sites, and the challenge of getting an ever-improving mobile station on the
road, are the fun things to ME. To me, it would *not* be fun to travel with
a group of rovers and mostly *just* contact each other, but if others want to
do that, that’s OK … I wouldn’t criticize others for doing things that I don’t
want to do as long as it’s allowed by the rules. If someone doesn't like
what some contest participants are doing, then petiiton to change the rules.

4) I fail to see any significant difference between two rovers showing up at
the same time and place to make some easy contacts (this is seen as outrageous
by some), compared to a rover showing up at a fixed station’s driveway to make
some easy contacts including light (this is encouraged by some of the same
people).

Thanks for all the thoughtful responses to my original message,
especially from: NE3I, K1DY, KF2MR, WB2ONA, K3WGR, N2SLN.

-- Pete K0BAK