[VHFcontesting] 2M Sprint results, K1DY/R

Bill Olson callbill at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 22 11:59:58 EDT 2015

Hi everyone, Went out "roving" for the 2M sprint last night. I say it that way because I didn't really rove as much as operate portable. Funny, my last QSO was with Sigurd, KJ1K, and he asked me the question, "How can you "rove" in a short contest like this?" I answered that I would try to get to 2 grids. He said he had talked to the League several years ago and they were OK with a submission that had only one grid in it.. Well, this wasn't an ARRL contest, and I didn't care anyway, just wanted to get on and make some noise. I ended up on a local hilltop in FN54 and was having so much fun that by 9PM, as activity was starting to fade, I was still there and I figured if I broke down and drove to FN55, there might be no one else to work, so I called it a night. Sorry to those who were looking for FN55..

This was an interesting evening, first of all something that NEVER happens up here in Central Maine, happened! There was lots of local contest QRM!! K1GUP and KT1R were both on with 40 over 9 signals and it was actually fun, we ended up tail ending each other some times and it certainly helped everyone's score.

I worked 10 QSO's in 6 grids. best DX was AC2BL in FN23, but also heard many other stations that couldn't hear me probably because they didn't point this way. Notable was N2NT in FN20, but also K1TR, WZ1V, W1QK, WA2VNV, and also a few weak ones that peaked SW that I never identified. I did run a sked with Dana, VE3DS, at a distance of around 500 miles and heard bits and pieces on tropo and one nice meteor burst, but no QSO. anyway, total score 10 x 6 = 60 wahoo!

Thanks to all that got on, and to the sponsors! I will be on next week for 222..

bill, K1DY/R