[VHFcontesting] 1296 THANK YOU & FN55 Progress Update

N1BUG paul at n1bug.com
Wed Aug 10 21:54:00 EDT 2016

First, a big THANK YOU to everyone who kindly responded to my
request for 1296 information. The several responses were immensely
helpful and encouraging. One final 1296 question: Has anyone tried
putting a DEMI 2330PA (current model) in a box at the top of a tower
in a northern state? I wonder if it will survive the heat, cold and
humid air? If it will, this looks like THE way to go, along with a
tower mounted LNA. I cannot avoid very long feedlines if I want to
be above the trees.

Over the past couple of months I have received a tremendous amount
of support and encouragement for my return to VHF. Here is a
progress update...

6 meters is reduced to 100w temporarily but I believe I will be able
to build an amp (minus tube) this winter. Hopefully I will scare up
a tube somewhere before Spring.

2 meters is coming along. I have a 3.8 WL (26') yagi built and ready
to go up. The QRO amplifier is currently spread across a table in
many, many pieces as I await parts to fix a tired old tube socket.
This is the former 6 meter amp being converted back to 2 meters
which is the band it was originally designed for.

I have material to build a 222 antenna which with some luck may be
in place in time for the September VHF Contest. But expect low power
on that band for the foreseeable future.

As hinted above, I have a tentative plan for 1296 but lack funds to
pursue it for the time being.

VERY special thanks are due to K1KA and K5AND who have gone above
and beyond to assist my efforts. If you work me on any of the four
bands for a new grid or contest multiplier, at least one of these
guys deserves some of the credit!

73,

Paul N1BUG FN55mf