[VHFcontesting] Side by side rx comparison

Patrick Thomas p-thomas at mindspring.com
Tue Dec 13 23:09:35 EST 2016

All,

Currently I have several radios which have native coverage of V/U bands, and am looking to get rid of one or two.  While I have them all, though, it seems like a great time to do a TRUE side-by-side comparison... not an A/B switch, but audio inputs from each rig, off a common antenna (while disabling tx of course), such that fading or occasional reflection becomes less of an issue, for example.

I have multi-input audio interfaces, but does anyone have an idea of how to handle the RF side safely and with reasonable accuracy?  I'm thinking along the lines of the old FM+TV "active splitters" that had preamps, but not sure of the quality and of course they are all tuned for 75 ohms, and while there are ways around that, I'd rather not do a bunch of throwaway work or retune at each test frequency.

Thoughts?  Or am I thinking about this improperly?

Patrick
KB8DGC

PS: Also looking for tips on heating copper tubing to homebrew halo antennas... the big gas torch is way too big, even the 250w soldering gun seems too small... maybe I need a small torch?  Or break out the oxy-acetylene wand? :)