[VHFcontesting] AM Radio Telegraph Key

Les Rayburn les at highnoonfilm.com
Thu Feb 11 22:55:42 EST 2016

Way off topic in terms of VHF operation, but not sure who else to ask.

As a boy of 7-8 years old (late 1960’s) I remember attending a ham radio club meeting in Cleveland, TN. One of the members there had a straight key that transmitted modulated CW to any nearby AM radio. Basically, a wireless code practice oscillator. The range was very limited, probably less than 100 feet but it worked well.

He loaned it to me while I was learning the code—and I thought it was the coolest gadget ever. Soon after, I moved onto a novice ticket and 80 Meter CW. The key was returned to him, and I didn’t think of it again for years.

Searched high and low on Ebay, but without a manufacturer or other clues, it’s proven impossible to find. Does anyone on the list recall these keys? Any idea who made it, or how I might go about finding one?

Any information would be most welcome.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL
EM63nf

Member WTFDA, IRCA, NRC. Former CPC Chairman for NRC & IRCA.

Elad FDM-S2 SDR, AirSpy SDR, Quantum Phaser, Wellbrook ALA1530 Loop, Wellbrook Flag, Clifton Labs Active Whip.