[VHFcontesting] Height vs. foliage

George Sintchak wa2vnv at optonline.net
Thu Jul 21 22:01:57 EDT 2016

Patrick,
Assuming moving your home to higher ground location is not an option, a roof
tripod will be a (relatively cheap) option and give you a reasonable
improvement. A better solution would be a fixed tower (Rohn 25G) with a
house bracket at one end of the house. That could give you 25-40 ft above
your roof without guys if you don't overload it at the top.  Do you climb
towers? Or you could use a Hazer or a bucket truck for antenna work. Another
way would be to use a hinged base and tilt it over for antenna work.
What kind of trees are around you and do they lose their leaves in winter?
How far are the trees from your antennas? Is your terrain flat around you
for several miles - no big hills in your most favored direction? Always
compromises to consider.

73's, George, WA2VNV
HF+50-1296, SOLP, FN30kv
146.760 Analog/448.825 UHF DMR