[VHFcontesting] ARRL UHF Contest Cancelled

Steve Tripp (K1IIG) stephen.tripp at snet.net
Sat Mar 12 07:32:05 EST 2016

 Another concern we should be aware of is our UHF frequencies comingunder
attack by Cellular Carriers. I heard that there is movement to use the 5ghz
band. Verizon and maybe others are building Micro Cells on Telephone Poles.
In CT Verizon is now building 35 of these pole mounted sites and one might
be in your backyard causing RFI. Now it is not likely that 10ghz is in their
sites but one never knows what they are proposing.
If 10ghz contesting goes away or is diminished, what's next. We need to
encourage more activity on the upper UHF frequencies and discontinuing this
contest might discourage participation. I would suggest we let this upcoming
contest continue as scheduled and going forward open up more discussion on
this topic.
73's
Steve
HF-10ghz