[VHFcontesting] Ionosphere Scatter

Barry Hansen barry at k7bwh.com
Mon Oct 24 14:45:05 EDT 2016

I follow this thread with interest. I make grid expeditions around the
Pacific Northwest and am always looking for ways to expand the range when
the bands are otherwise closed. There are some rare grid squares that
desperately need activating.

As a rover, I've been known to carry 1 KW and a good 5-element yagi (11
dB) antenna on 6, and something similar on 2. Meteor scatter is tempting
but contacts tend to take a long time. I operate like a mountain-top
portable station but in contests I move around just enough to enter the
rover category.

Barry K7BWH