[VHFcontesting] FT-817

Jarred Jackson Jarred.Jackson at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 5 06:56:36 EDT 2017

Zack,

The FT-817 works very well as an IF radio in my rover setup. I use it as IF on 28 MHz for 222, 144 MHz for 902 & 1296 and 432 MHz for 2304. I have made no significant changes to the setup that would affect its receive performance.  I only used it in a contest as the main transceiver once during CQWWVHF. A pair of headphones was necessary. Compared to my IC-7000, its performance on 6m and 2m seemed to come up a bit short. For the local 2m SSB net with stronger signals, there is no obvious difference. As a pure IF radio, any issues with the receiver are transparent to me. The rear connector provides access to PTT as well as several advanced features if you choose to get creative (CAT control, band switching data, transmit inhibit, etc.). As with all modern compact radios, figuring out the menu structure is initially frustrating. I have no specific recommendations on settings. All changes I made were purely preferences, like CW speed. I think the only necessary change was to send VHF/UHF to the back connector instead of the front.

Good Luck

Jarred - KF2MR