[VHFcontesting] FT-817

jon jones n0jk at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 6 11:51:59 EDT 2017

Zack:

I use the FT-897 as my primary portable radio for VHF/UHF. On 6 meters the sensitivity is fine, on 2 meters marginal but OK for portable use. I agree with Chet that the FT-897 receiver is similar to the FT-817, and that on 432 MHz it would benefit from a pre-amp. That said, I worked W4NH EM86 on 70 cm from KS in the 2017 Sept. VHF contest on tropo with the stock FT-897 running 10 W.

 - Jon N0JK

>Zack,

I believe the 897 receiver is similar to the 817's. My 897 is deaf as a post
(as they say) on 432, but with a preamp it is OK.

73
Chet, N8RA