[VHFcontesting] 222MHz transverter performance

James Duffey jamesduffey at comcast.net
Wed Feb 15 13:22:30 EST 2017

Zack - Well at the price they are selling for, they are probably worth getting to just to play with and satisfy your curiosity. The bare board is only $52 including shipping. Even if you don’t purchase the transverter, the switching/attenuator board at $15 with shipping has lots of applications itself and is reasonably priced.

The mixer and RF amplifier are BF998 dual gate MOSFETS which is older technology. The BF998 is a reasonable RF device though if the circuitry around it is designed properly and will probably be OK under most conditions. The biggest issue I see with the receive portion of these transverters is the single stage bandpass filtering. The BF998 as a mixer is certainly not as good as a double balanced mixer, but still not terrible. This is certainly good enough where activity is low or one is located at a remote site. I look forward to the day when activity on 222MHz is high enough that these transverters would be inadequate on receive. :^)=

The Mitsubishi RD15HVF1 final, on the other hand, is a modern device designed especially for 12VDC operation. Most power MOSFETS require much higher voltage to be as efficient and don’t have as big a linear range when operated at 12Vdc. I don’t think there is much better out there device wise in that power and price range.

Thanks for the info on the 222MHz power module and the comments on the transverters. See you at Dayton? - Duffey KK6MC