[VHFcontesting] Transmit Performance of Transverter Store transverters

Patrick Thomas p-thomas at mindspring.com
Wed Feb 15 15:47:22 EST 2017

> Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2017 07:50:05 -0700
> From: James Duffey <jamesduffey at comcast.net>

Thanks for the post.  I've been putting together one of these transverters in kit form, so it's good to see the info.

> Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2017 09:15:22 -0600
> From: Zack Widup <w9sz.zack at gmail.com>
> [...]
> If I were to design one of them these days, I'd use somewhat
> different parts and configurations.

Whether it's you or someone else, I would love to see a ground-up, well-documented design of a great-performing transverter, including design decisions (what you did, what you didn't do, and why), math to describe how appropriate passive components, filters, matching, etc., were defined, how it was assembled, tested, and aligned, etc.  In fact I suspect people would pay money for a good design booklet that walked through this.  I know I would.  And isn't learning and experimentation supposedly what ham radio is about, especially at VHF+?  All the better if you make schematics and board artwork available using some cheaply-available EDA package like Eagle or KiCAD.

A few people (W1GHZ and a couple others) take many steps down this path, but the information superhighway is littered with examples of "here's a design I pulled out of thin air, feel free to duplicate it, once you've found all the critical, obsolete parts" or else "here's a rough sketch I made of a transverter, and since you're all veteran RF engineers you'll know what to do from here."

It seems like this would be instrumental for VHF/UHF newbies, not just from a theoretical perspective, but just a getting-on-the-air perspective.

Patrick
KB8DGC