[VHFcontesting] modes question, what do we log C4FM or DSTAR as?

Marshall-K5QE k5qe at k5qe.com
Fri Feb 17 20:18:52 EST 2017

Hello everyone interested in this topic.....Recently, I posted that I
log all "digital" contacts as PH in the VHF contests.  I got a few
"flames" for that, but my point is that essentially, all the "digital"
modes are tones injected into the microphone path.  To me that makes
them PH rather than anything else.  I have never had a contact or a log
rejected because of this.  The VHF contests are not mode specific, so
what you put for the mode is basically unimportant.

The main objection was that this threw off LOTW from its appointed
rounds.  Since I do not believe in LOTW, this is not of any consequence
to me, as I will never use it.

Maybe in HF contests, this topic is meaningful, but I do not think that
it matters for the VHF contests.  I could be wrong. I know that I
certainly don't want to have to edit all my logs trying to figure out
which contacts are truly SSB/FM and which are just audio tones.

73 Marshall K5QE