[VHFcontesting] January 2017 VHF contest results N4BRF/WA2VNV

WA2VNV, George wa2vnv at optonline.net
Tue Jan 24 10:36:18 EST 2017

Call: N4BRF <http://www.3830scores.com/findcall.php?call=N4BRF>
Operator(s): WA2VNV <http://www.3830scores.com/findcall.php?call=WA2VNV>

Station: N4BRF
Class: Single Op LP
QTH: EL96vk
Operating Time (hrs): 11
BandQSOsMults6:1562:239222:11432:137
1.2:53

Total:5726 Score2,236
Club: Boca Raton Amateur Radio Assoc.
SOAPBOX: Conditions were flat to poor. Less stations on the air than
usual due to severe
T Storms/Tornados in northern/central Florida & southern Georgia over
the contest weekend. Also, football playoff games didn't help either.
6 meters Es only opened briefly (5 minutes) to mid-west Sunday evening
and only
worked AD0PY in EM47.
This year I added a 1296 station using an SG Labs transverter & TR751A
with
2-3 Watts output to a pair of Comet 16 Element Yagis at ~60 ft fed with
75 ft of
7/8 hardline. No mast preamp. The 2-3 Watts made it to 3 grids & 5 Q's,
with
best to WB4OMG in EL98ad at a distance of 257 kM (160 miles). That was
pretty
impressive with small power. Very happy with SG Labs transverter that
cost
~$200 from Bulgaria. All station equipment held up except when the
laptop
logging computer battery died and it shut itself down even thou it was
plugged
in. I had to remove the battery and resume operation after a computer
restart.
Thanks to the rovers out there in the wild for their efforts. Too bad I
just
missed K4SME/r in EL86, that would have been an easy additional rare
grid on
all 4 bands, I did get him in EL96. I did quit around 7 PM Sunday night
as
activity was nil and the storms were approaching. CU in the spring
sprints.
73's WA2VNV George.