[VHFcontesting] FN55 status

N1BUG paul at n1bug.com
Wed Jan 25 11:23:00 EST 2017

I was not active for the contest. Mast problems led to broken coax
in early January. This could be fixed in summer assuming the antenna
survives until then or I can get it down in a mid-winter weather window.

However, I have a difficult decision to make. I love VHF/UHF weak
signal operating. I very much want to be active but I am reminded
once again it really isn't a practical aspect of the hobby. I'm not
sure how many times I need to be painfully reminded of this before
it sticks!

There is a reason most who try VHF/UHF up here don't stay with it.
The reward for investment is very small. I am the exception but even
we "special" fools have limits. ;-) I lose interest if I am
restricted to low power operation.

I made every effort - reasonable and otherwise - to get the old
amplifier going. I repaired and rebuilt it time and time again,
using up every available resource in the process. Ultimately
whatever is wrong with it is over my head. In 35 years building and
modifying amplifiers I have never seen anything like it. Aargh! If I
could get my hands on some decent explosives I could make a
modification such that its primary reason for not working would be
easily understandable. :-)

I need more time to think but the options are to put everything in
storage and try again at some later date or liquidate all the VHF
stuff (for less than 20% return on investment) and move on. If I opt
for the latter I will check with those who donated parts and other
things to see what their wishes are. One thing I will *not* do is
sell something which was given to me. If I give up on VHF it either
goes back to the source or gets passed forward.

73,
Paul N1BUG FN55mf