[VHFcontesting] Attenuation from polarity mismatch (Re: C6AFP SixMeter Beacon

N1BUG paul at n1bug.com
Sun Jan 29 13:39:59 EST 2017

In the real world over a free space path with typical amateur
antennas I believe it is about 20 dB, perhaps (sometimes) more. That
is the figure I used in writing software to calculate polarization
mismatch signal loss on the EME path years ago.

Usually there is a great loss on terrestrial paths but I have seen
some exceptions where reflections from terrain or large objects was
involved. In extreme cases, signals can actually be better with
cross polarization! The owner of a 2 meter repeater (before my
enlightenment) 70 miles away thought I was crazy when I told him I
could hit it with horizontal polarization but not vertical. That
situation was consistent. The antennas (yagis) shared a common boom
so they were not in different locations.

73,
Paul N1BUG