[VHFcontesting] Attenuation from polarity mismatch (Re: C6AFP Six Meter Beacon

Mark Spencer mark at alignedsolutions.com
Sun Jan 29 15:08:53 EST 2017

Hi I've done a modest amount of listening to signals via 144 MHz tropo on Horizontal and Vertical antennas at the same time on different radios.

About all I can say with any certainty is that I could usually tell which stations were using Horizontal or Vertical antennas by the relative signal strengths.   As a wild guess I'd put the typical loss due to polarization miss match in the range of maybe 15 to 20 dB.   I didn't make any effort to calibrate the S meters of the radios in question.

Hope this is of some interest.

73
Mark S
VE7AFZ