[VHFcontesting] The digital modes and the Sept contest

Alan Larson wa6azp at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 17:36:56 EDT 2017

Zack wrote:
> My VHF operating is almost entirely portable. I like to go to local
> hills (there are some around here!) I use a deep-cycle marine battery
> as a power source. Except for very brief operations, running the
> station and a computer from the battery runs it down too fast. So I
> don't even bother taking a computer along. I log on paper and enter it
> into the computer when I get home later.

  I also do most of my VHF operating portable.  I have used battery
power, but I find that the battery runs down too fast with just the
radios.  As the voltage starts to sag, the IC-910 drops off (powers
down) during transmit.  Even at reduced power, the battery life is
limited.  When I use a computer, in such a situation, I ran it from
its own battery.

  Some have suggested solar power.  I have done it, and it feels nice to
be using silent solar power, but even a 100 watt panel is only about 6
amps of current.  It requires a fairly large lead-acid battery to be
able to use that for charging until it gets somewhat discharged - when
near full, the charge rate goes down.  (The solar may push it in faster,
but at rates that are not good for the battery.)

  When carrying the entire portable station in a VW Jetta, the space for
large batteries, solar panels, etc. is pretty limited.  If a computer is
included, it is just the laptop, but often it is left and logging is on
paper.

        Alan