[VHFcontesting] What separates a decent transverter from an awesome transverter?

N1BUG paul at n1bug.com
Wed Apr 25 03:20:43 EDT 2018

One thing I didn't see on your list that always concerns me is LO
drift. Drift can be a problem for any weak signal work, say a long
haul CW sked during a contest. If you want to do some of the digital
modes it can become a critical issue, even a show stopper.

Since I can neither afford nor get my head around the complexities
of GPSDO locking, I am always concerned about crystal oscillator
drift in transverters. Usually I do the best I can to build and
install some type of crystal heater... with mixed results over the
years.

Sometimes I find things that surprise me. Last summer I measured
drift on two 1296 transverters: a relatively ancient UHF Units and a
relatively newer but not current generation DEMI, both as yet
unmodified. Over a temperature range that caused the DEMI to drift
over 6 kHz, the UHF Units moved just a bit over 200 Hz! I know which
one I will be using if I ever get the rest of the stuff together for
1296.

Paul N1BUG