[VHFcontesting] Making roving fun and interesting

Alex alex at kr1st.com
Fri Aug 24 13:26:58 EDT 2018

Hi Zack,

I use a Raspberry Pi 3 B with GQRX for the bandscope. GQRX has a "demod
off" mode which is nice if you only want to use it as a bandscope. Saves
a lot of CPU cycles! I do use the KD2C board (formely HupRF) to tap RF
just before the first IF and use a RTL-SDR Version 3 dongle ($20). The
Pi requires a little over 5V, but I'm not sure how much current it
draws. I can measure this for you when I get home. The power supply is
usually rated for 2.5A, but it's not drawing that much.

I added an IF tap (with a KD2C board and a NESDR Smart dongle, $20) to a
FT-897 and I'm working to add the Pi to that as well. I'm thinking of
using a 3.5" touch screen on this one. A Pi with a 3.5" touch screen is
about the size of two stacked decks of cards. Right now I just hook it
up to a PC/laptop and run SDR Console on it.

73,
--Alex KR1ST