[VHFcontesting] Car PCs for rovers/etc.

Patrick Thomas p-thomas at mindspring.com
Sun Dec 16 00:40:48 EST 2018

Hi all,

Hopefully this is on-topic for rover/RVer types out there: I came across several late-2000s Mini-ITX/Micro-ATX car PCs which have GPS module and a GSM/GPRS cellular modem built into the chassis, with SMA antenna connectors brought to the rear panel.  They are based on an Atom 230 @ 1.6GHz - won't be beating out any i7 laptops, but decent for general use.

They also have a 9-pin serial port, ECP/EPP parallel port, 4 USB ports, ethernet, and 4ch 96kHz audio, so should be easy to adapt for legacy I/O or battery-backed base purposes, but they're really meant for vehicle use - even with an ignition input on the PS which can be configured to hold power a minimum amount of time to help ensure a full startup and clean shutdown.  No HD/SSD installed, but could use IDE or SATA (or just boot from a thumb drive).

Note that GSM/GPRS is being phased out by many carriers, so if data connectivity is a priority please double-check with the provider in your area.  The GPS module does output 1PPS but it is not connected to the PC.  Of course everything is modular, so any piece could be upgraded.

If you're interested, please send me a note off list.  Thanks!

Patrick
KB8DGC