[VHFcontesting] Transverters (was: Icom IC-9700 Release Date)

Patrick Thomas p-thomas at mindspring.com
Sun Dec 16 19:48:04 EST 2018

To be fair, the stock 9100 covers 12 bands over two decades of RF.  I have to admit I share some disappointment that 222 (and 33cm while we're dreaming) can't be included in a $1500-$2000 dedicated V/U radio.  I guess Big Radio is in league with the transverter industry!

Speaking of which... let me fork this thread off on a related topic... how many people here use a rig with native VHF/UHF coverage of 144/432/1296 for weak signal work, as opposed to off-board transverters?  I'm not holding my breath on direct conversion UHF radios, so frequency conversion has to happen somewhere, right?  But I can see either philosophy: 1) the radio manufacturer gets the best prices, an army of engineers, and knows their system the best... or 2) the transverter people aren't constrained by cost vs. mass market appeal, physical space, etc.

Patrick
KB8DGC