[VHFcontesting] Transverters

Mark Spencer mark at alignedsolutions.com
Mon Dec 17 14:37:22 EST 2018

Bill nice post and you have more or less summed up my current thoughts re roving and transvetrers.

I'll just mention that in my experience I have found it is helpful to have radios dedicated to 50  (and if possible 144 MHz) on a full time basis while roving.  As much as I would like to use my IC 7300 as an IF radio I like using it full time for 50 MHz.

I do like the remote control head feature of my ICOM 706 MkiiG's but not unsurprisingly the 7300 does seem to work better on 50 MHz.    I'm hoping I will see a similar improvement on 144 and 432 if I switch to a 9700 for those bands.

I'm still flip flopping between carrying the 7300 in a transit case while driving and setting it up when I stop driving or shelf mounting in the cab of my truck.  A 9700 will present a similar dilemma.   The price point of those radios doesn't allow me to rationalize breaking one of them on a roving outing and the lack of remote control head makes them more vulnerable to catastrophic damage in my view.

I still have the 706's to use for monitoring while driving and in some circumstances I may still use them as my main radios and leave the more expensive radios at home.

73

Mark S
VE7AFZ

mark at alignedsolutions.com