[VHFcontesting] Transverter interfacing with FT290RII

Sean Waite waisean at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 11:38:13 EST 2018

I've got one of the old FT290RII 2m all modes that I'm using as the IF on
my transverters. With the SG Lab devices, I can select between RF sense
switching and PTT switching, but I now have a DEMI 3cm transverter that
requries a real PTT line. The radio has the 25W amp that I'm not using for
these purposes, I just set the radio to low power (2.5W). What I'd like to
know is if anyone has a clever method of getting the PTT off of the radio.
The plug for the amp has PTT on it, I believe, and the amp isn't required
for operation. The problem with leaving the amp off to access this plug is
that then there are just 2 little spring tabs for power on the back, which
makes it difficult to get power to the radio.

I could just tap the IF circuit for the amp inside the radio, but I wasn't
sure if there was a less invasive option.

At some point I'd like to dig up the FBA-8 battery boxes for my 290 and
790riis, but they appear to be kind of hard to find. It would make it less
likely to accidentally dump 25W into a transverter.

Thanks and 73,
Sean WA1TE