[VHFcontesting] Help with ICOM 9100...

Marshall-K5QE k5qe at k5qe.com
Fri Jan 5 13:35:03 EST 2018

Hello to all VHF Contesters....First, you are REQUIRED to have a Great
New Year. Second, the Jan VHF Contest is coming up soon.  Jan 20 and 21
as I recall.  We hope to work you there.....

I am having a problem with an IC 9100.  I bought it a couple of years to
use for a DXpedition / portable rig.  We took it on a 432 EME DXpedition
to LA, MS, and AL.  We also took it to our 2M Zone2 DXpedition to Quebec
in June.  Both DXpeditions used only JT65b from WSJT, there was no SSB
or CW.  Both times the radio worked perfectly on WSJT / JT65b.  We were
using the 6pin MINI-DIN data port on the back for the digital interface
connection.

NOW, I am trying to install this radio for my home station.  The data /
WSJT works perfectly, as before.  However, I cannot get any power out on
SSB at all.  I have used the mike that comes with the radio and also an
ICOM desk mike that I have.  Nothing on SSB at all.  I have looked
through a LOT of menu choices and cannot find anything that might be
relevant.  All this testing was done on 2M.

CW is a bit strange too.  I can push the Transmit button on the rig or
on the microphone(so as to key the radio) and then send CW with the
key.  That works all OK.  I cannot get semi-break in CW to work.

All this seems to have something to do with the memory(s). Bill-N5YA got
the semi-break in CW to work once, but when I changed to a new memory
channel(and then back) that was lost.

If you have a 9100 and can help me, please give me a call.  IF I am out,
I will call you right back....Thanks a lot for the help....

73 Marshall K5QE
Phone is 409-787-3830 at the home shack