[VHFcontesting] How to order

Joe ptvjoe at pa.net
Tue Jan 23 14:53:45 EST 2018

It seemed that not many stations were on 6 and 2 meters voice as most were
on 50.313 digi and a few on 50.260 MS. There were a few calling CQ on 2
meters(voice) and making some contacts.
Being a fixed location Opr this time, I did get on FT8 and FSK144 modes.
Contacts were a bit slow. Saturday, I was having a hard time getting
through the normal sequence with other stations until I found out I was
using an outdated WSJT-X ver 1.8.0 rc1. After I copied and installed the
final version WSJT-X ver 1.8.0 on Sunday, I started making contacts.

As a rover, June through Sept, I dont have the room to operate off tailgate
on PU truck to be able to use a computer. One more item to try and shelter
from the rain.
Wont be worth going out as a rover if most all will be using the Digi modes
now.
Dont get me wrong, I like to operate the digital modes too.
The rovers, who were out, provided a lot of Voice Qso's where they could be
worked from my location.

My PU truck Rover mobile has a low profile camper cap on it, but equipment
takes up a lot of room and no room for an 'under a roof' opr bench unless I
eliminate bands above 1296. Even then it has very limited room in the back.
My PU has standard cab with no rear sliding window to be able to operate
from up front in the cab.

There were a few 6 mtr openings towards South  from South Central Pa. I saw
on the screen a station located in EL87, and another in EM96 using MSK144,
MS mode. I finally did work a station in EM90 later Sunday afternoon early
evening.

What makes it tough to work MS, besides depending on random meteor shower
activity, Is that MSK144 uses only one Audio carrier freq of @1500 Hz(
USB). So its designed more for one station at a time to make a contact.
(FT8 allows multiple contacts at a time).

High powered stations that set on the 50.260 Freq calling CQ for more than
20 times in a row on MSK144, Like I saw Sunday, Does not let other lower
powered uses have a chance to make any contacts.
Both stations are usually on the Odd sequence and would be transmitting the
same time, thus the higher power stations could be covering up the lower
power station to a distant station.
One could call CQ on the Even Sequence but may be interfering with another
station in the process of making a contact. Not good!
Limiting the continuos CQ's in a row to say 6 or 7 at a time,  than taking
a break and then go at it again, Might, let a few lower powered stations
have half a chance to make a contact too??

Food for thought.

WA3PTV Joe