[VHFcontesting] Very poor contest in FN55

Sean Waite waisean at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 20:56:00 EDT 2018

We at least had showers, but the roadside BBQ (with baked beans), taco
bell, and other fast food probably weren't helping the situation.

We're looking at FT8 for the rover. When 6 was open, we had all of the
contacts we could handle on phone. After dark everything died off, though
we could still hear a few FT8 signals. We should be able to work 2m phone
while trying to find stations on 6m FT8. It'll also give us the ability to
work MSK144, which should be interesting.

Our 2m scores were a little slow, and the higher bands were pretty much
dead. There were quite a few stations, even local ones, that only had 6m
and were unable to pass. We were mobile for much of the openings on Sunday,
so we only had one op and 6m phone ruled. Part of the problem with the
higher bands for us is the low power (8W) on 222 and on 70cm the antenna is
kind up wedged up in among the supports for the 6m loop.

There are a lot of advantages to FT8, especially for the casual or
compromised op. We just need to educate people how to use it and also when
to use it.

Sean WA1TE