[VHFcontesting] Battery question

nosigma at aol.com nosigma at aol.com
Tue Sep 18 12:44:39 EDT 2018

Optima use to be the gold standard in the off road community for its deep cycle abilities in winching.  It fell from that perch some time ago when mfg got moved to a new facility, perhaps offshore, not sure.  Failures went way up.

I run a pair off large rv marine batteries from autozone.  An hour from 13v to 12.1 running two radios, computer and 100w amps 50% tx. 10min to top off on 120amp alternator.

6v golf cart batteries are probably the best but I cant take the space and weight in my jeep for 4 of them.  I just switched to generator as primary with the batteries as backup.

Hope that helps
John
KM4KMU

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail