[VHFcontesting] 144 Sprint WZ1V

Mark Spencer mark at alignedsolutions.com
Tue Sep 18 13:27:40 EDT 2018

Hi:

I won't comment on the TX power issue.   That being said.

In so far as path losses on typical non enhanced tropo paths of say 350 miles could be over 200 dB at 144 MHz  I'm thinking it might make sense for us not to all use the same  3Khz wide SSB channel for all of our FT8 activity during a contest ?

It would seem to me at least that it could be a challenge for a typical receiver to pick up ultra weak signals while also coping with local signals within 3Khz that could be 100 dB stronger just due to the difference in path losses.   (I realize there is more to this type of analysis than just the path losses but at first glance the situation doesn't seem very promising to me.)

73

Mark S
VE7AFZ

mark at alignedsolutions.com