[VHFcontesting] crankup tower, multi band antennas, and coax

Jay RM w9rm at calmesapartners.com
Mon Dec 9 13:32:20 EST 2019

Crank-up towers and serious VHF/UHF feedlines don't really go together,
but, if that's what you've got available, it can be made to work.

I'm currently using a run of 1 5/8", a run of 7/8" and a run of 1/2" on a
75' crank up.  They are all suspended off a 3/4" diameter solid steel rod
'coax loop hanger' that Tri-Ex sold along with their towers.  This is well
over 100 lbs of feedline when the tower is fully cranked up - not an
insubstantial weight !  These lines feed 432, 222 and a 50 MHz beam.  I
would have liked to run a pair of 1 5/8" and a single 7/8" line, but I
thought that was just too heavy.

I am able to manage the hardline 'bundle' when raising and lowering the
tower without help, but it's not something you can ignore.  If I could find
a suitable three or four position relay with low loss, high isolation and
KW power handling, I would remove all but one run of 1 5/8" and use that,
without a doubt.  Such relays exist, but I don't have one.

It all depends on how critical your requirements are.  If you can get away
with all 1/2" feeds (or LMR-400 of 9913 or. . .), it would be the way to
go.  Three or four 1/2 lines probably weight less than one run of 1 5/8".
But, if you try to use hardline, don't try to hang the lines in loops when
the tower is down - suspend it from the top and take the time to dress out
the line on the ground as the tower comes down.  MAYBE FSJ-4 superflex can
be hung like RG-type coax, but I'd be cautious, even with that.

-W9RM

Keith J Morehouse
Managing Partner
Calmesa Partners G.P.