[VHFcontesting] Busy times during VHF contests

Leandra MacLennan leandra at leandramac.com
Mon Dec 16 22:04:43 EST 2019

My recommendation is to ask around, or check last year's results, to find at least 3 or 4 fixed location stations in your area who will be working the contest. Contact them before the contest to get their telephone numbers, so you can call or text them during the contest whenever you have moved and set up in a new grid. This will be a big help if you are planning to operate from a grid where the contestants are not generally pointing their antennas. And once you make contact with a couple of contestants, you will attract others who see the activity in their waterfall.

Last January I drove 2 hours out to a rare grid, FN51, on Cape Cod, set up my antennas in the blowing snow and . . . contacted no one despite calling CQ on 6M and 2M for 45 minutes. No one was pointing their antennas at the ocean.
In September, I again drove out to FN51, but this time I had some phone numbers and handed out FN51 to 11 lucky contestants, most who found me from the activity I started with the first contestant I called on the phone.

Phone calls to spot yourself are allowed for the ARRL VHF contest, but are not allowed for other contests.

   -Leandra AF1R