[VHFcontesting] ARRL Jan VHF results

Ron Klimas WZ1V wz1v at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 21 12:33:29 EST 2019

ARRL January VHF Contest

Call: WZ1V
Operator(s): WZ1V
Station: WZ1V
Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FN31RH
Operating Time (hrs): 21

6: 151 35
2: 97 24
222: 32 13
432: 42 14
903:
1.2: 10 5
2.3:
3.4:
5.7:
10G:
24G:
-------------------
Total: 332 91 Total Score = 39,676

Club: North East Weak Signal Group

Comments:
My worst January contest in ten years.
The storm wreaked havoc on the higher frequencies here.
Many stations that are normally 59 on 432 were weak.
Didn't get better until the last 8 hours of the contest.
And by then, it was too late to find anyone to work
above 2M because they were all glued to 50.313 FT8.
IMO FT8 is a double-edged sword. Can't deny it's
effectiveness to make contacts, but it's killing
activity here on on 222 MHz up. Too many folks have
let themselves become so entrapped with it that
they're just no longer available to work above 2M.
I'm talking about many calls I recognized on FT8
who I know have good 222 and up equipment that you
can no longer work on those bands. Fortunately,
there are still some of us who make themselves
available to run bands, and to them I'm grateful.
-73 Ron WZ1V

P.S. Remember the Borg, resistance is not futile,
don't be Assimilated !