[VHFcontesting] FT8 contest mode incompatibly

Mark Spencer mark at alignedsolutions.com
Wed Jul 24 18:10:01 EDT 2019

After reflecting a bit on a recent back country grid activation in an area known for Grizzly bears I do see some more merit in modes that don't require a lot of operator involvement.   Initially during my solo outing it was nice to be able to keep my head on a swivel and my eyes and ears open so to speak while letting the computer do much of the work while running MSK144.   Later during the outing after not noticing any signs of bears and chatting with some visitors who also indicated they hadn't seen any signs of bears I was a bit happier about running SSB.

From my perspective while nothing is going to be 100 percent risk free some operating practices may help.

Just my perspective on things (:

73

Mark S