[VHFcontesting] Digital Modes (FT8) in January 2019 Contest

David Huff dhuff at vermeer.com
Wed Jun 19 18:10:46 EDT 2019

I agree with others, splitting the contest might be better.
Have 1 weekend be ONLY digital VHF/UHF
A second weekend being only VHF/UHF SSB/CW
And then a third weekend of VHF/UHF any mode.

Note, we have ARRL awards for HF split by mode, but not VHF/UHF, meaning there is no digital only VHF award.  They just lump everything together.  Looking at the grid chase stats, it is clear digital HF modes are more popular than HF CW/SSB for the HF bands.  But a lack of VHF/UHF radios that do SSB/CW/Digital as well as FM is probably to blame.

My personal theory, more people would be on VHF/UHF if the radios were more convenient to interface to a digital source like a laptop, and cheaper.  Right now there is a lack of affordable ALL mode style radios for VHF/UHF.  And the ones that do exist are expensive.

Thanks,
David
W0IM