[VHFcontesting] Microwave Energy Directed at Overseas Personnel?

ab4ab at aol.com ab4ab at aol.com
Thu Mar 21 17:41:39 EDT 2019

 Great info. Like to add my 2c.
As mentioned, partial body irradiation must be included since it has been shown that some parts of the human body (e.g., eyes, testicles)
may be harmed if exposed to incident radiation levels significantly in excess of the recommended levels. Think about carrying a cellphone in the pocket when you have bad coverage and the phone goes to max power. Distance is an important factor, consider the 1/R² factor in the power density calculations (valid in the far field, near field more complex).
For US, incident electromagnetic energy of frequencies from 10 MHz to 100 GHz, the radiation protection guide is 10 mW/cm².
(milliwatt per square centimeter) as averaged over any possible 6 min period. Please note that the 10 mW/cm² US standard is expressed in mW/cm² which is equivalent to 100W/m². Canada and Europe are generally using a more conservative standard of 10W/m², i.e. 10 times lower than the US standard. Go figure!

As an example, the Radiation Protection Bureau of Health Canada has issued a series of safety codes. Canada's Safety Code 6 is titled
“Limits of Human Exposure to Radiofrequency Electromagnetic Energy in the Frequency Range from 3 kHz to 300 GHz.”
The official document number is HC Pub:091029. See:
http://rfsafetysolutions.com/RF%20Radiation%20Pages/Safety_Code_6.html

Exposure Limits for Uncontrolled Environments
Frequency Electric Field Power Density
  (MHz)     (V/m)          (W/m²)
0.003–1.0     280
1.0–10.0     280/f
10–300         28         2
300–1,500               f/150
1,500–15,000               10
15,000–150,000               10
150,000–300,000           6.67 x 10-5f

Interesting to note that the standard for frequencies predominally used for ham communication, 10-300 MHz, actually have a
lower PD standard of 2 W/m². I believe this is due to the fact that the body or bod parts can act like a loaded dipole resonating at those
frequencies. It is important to be aware of the radiation hazard and take proper precaution. Final note, with the
introduction of the new 5G wireless standard, we will all be exposed to more RF radiation due to the large number of microcells, even flying in LEO,
that will be used.

73 de AB4AB
Ben