[VHFcontesting] FT4 Mode

Michael Clarson wv2zow at gmail.com
Thu May 2 14:19:43 EDT 2019

Jay: The argument that SSB is so much faster than FT8/4 and stations should
switch to SSB when the band is open is not universally true. It is if you
are the station running guys on a specific frequency, but NOT if you are
one of the poorer equipped calling the running station.  When running low
power, it will often take 10 or more minutes to work a station on SSB when
the band is open -- I am competing with many stations with better signals
than me. But, on FT8/4, everyone gets decoded, and my rate actually goes
up. --Mike, WV2ZOW