[VHFcontesting] FT4 mode

Jay RM w9rm at calmesapartners.com
Thu May 2 16:45:19 EDT 2019

During a halfway decent 6M contest Es opening, 100/hr on SSB is not a very
high rate, even averaged over a entire hour.  On HF, 100/hr is even less
impressive.  The secret is, the Q's need to BE there.  High rate is both
operator skill and the capability of the band to SUPPORT the operators
skill level.  That's why some guys lament the flood of operators leaving
SSB for other modes.  They (we...) like to run rate - that's what we do.
If the band isn't capable of supporting the rate they (we,,,) can run, it
lessens the contest 'experience'.

For what it's worth (not much, really), in a June VHF test, in a year with
Es openings that last for over an hour to areas with good population
density, I ALWAYS have at least one run approaching (if not exceeding)
200/hr, for the entire hour - very occasionally, more then that if I have a
multiple direction opening.  You will find that this is nothing special
amongst the top-10 scorers in SOLP, SOHP and multi categories.

How high can SSB rate get ?  In a contest with a short exchange and with
SUPPORTIVE BAND CONDITIONS, it appears the top end to SSB rate is in the
mid-400's - at least, that appears to be the maximum which has been
recorded (going by memory from data probably 10 years old - maybe higher
now ? ).  My personal record hour was set in a ARRL Phone DX Contest, from
the DX side in either 1981 or 1982 on 20M.  That number was 423 - the first
hour of the contest.  What's funny is that the team had decided to switch
ops every hour for the first 4.  I went first by lottery.  The 2nd hour op,
K9MK, did a 425, beating me by 2 Q's :)  Bummer :)

I have spent my ham radio life contesting.  Both on HF and VHF.  Most often
it was as a 'hired gun' at a multi-op station.  So, I have had access to
some of the best hardware available.  But, in the last 6-7 years, all my
contesting on VHF has been done from my home station with modest (compared
to my multi-op days) hardware.

W9RM

Keith J Morehouse
Managing Partner