[VHFcontesting] KW rated DC Blocking Surge Arrestor for 2M?

ppattrsn at swbell.net ppattrsn at swbell.net
Thu Sep 12 11:37:19 EDT 2019

Anyone have any experience with high power coaxial surge arrestors for 2M?
I'm  adding a 1000W amp on 2M and have been searching for a DC Blocking
surge arrestor with 1KW power rating.  Polyphaser has a VHF50 series that
uses both MOV and Gas Tube.  The spec sheet says 750 watts (100MHz -
512MHz).  Talked to their tech support and they said the sheet is wrong.it
will easily handle 1KW on 2M...1800V breakdown.  ICE also has a M-304
arrestor rated at 1KW.  Both the Polyphaser and ICE show 0.1db insertion
loss.   I want to use my station remotely so physically disconnecting isn't
always possible.  Thought about just using a high isolation relay to
disconnect feedline from the amp and terminating in a load.   Any ideas?

Also, I'll be out in my Rover this weekend.  I have 6M through 2304.  Will
roam around Arkansas starting in Northeast and ending on Sunday afternoon in
EM24.

73,

Pat, W5VY