[VHFcontesting] Digital and VHF contests

James C jabeco at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 10:32:58 EDT 2019

Conversely, I haven't had this much fun contesting ever! (26 years in the
hobby)

The WSJT suite has made contesting a reality for me. (I live in an area
where the closest active vhf+ op is 150miles away).

Before WSJT I was thrilled to make 5 contacts in a contest. Now I'm
competitively chasing grids for FFMA, Having fun in contests, Enjoying the
fellowship Slack and the other loggers have provided, Making contacts on 6m
MS daily, Activating rare grids and more.

If it wasn't for WSJT none of this would have happened. I will never
operate CW and I might get on phone to enjoy a legacy contact once a blue
moon.

My interest in 6m (and VHF+ DX) is at an all time high thanks to WSJT.
Huge thank you to K1JT for keeping the hobby interesting and alive. There
are more then enough 6m ops using digital to keep busy with. I don't feel
like I'm missing anything by ditching CW/SSB.. except a headache from
listening to static for hours at a time.

It's clear to anyone who's been paying attention that CW and SSB are headed
to the dustbin of history. I commend those who are staying away from digi.
It's a tough road to travel with so many folks staying current on
technology. Good luck to the brave souls sticking to your CW/SSB guns. I'm
afraid It's going to get more and more lonely for those guys.

Flame on!

.-James K7KQA DN06 (6m - 7el LFA/KW)