[VHFcontesting] Fwd: Digital and Q arrangement contesting

Mike (KA5CVH) Urich mike at ka5cvh.com
Sun Sep 22 21:20:51 EDT 2019

On Sun, Sep 22, 2019 at 6:27 PM Dennis Allen <N9TZL at outlook.com> wrote:

To me it has removed the radio related skills that one had learned to
locate other stations and make Q's. There just are not allot of guys
looking around trying to make Q's as before because they are on chat
rooms and such making arrangements to make Q's instead of being on the
radio which to me has greatly hurt VHF/UHF contesting!!  It has turned
into a computer social operating contest not a radio operating
contest!!

Mike wrote

I tend to largely agree.  "To me" ... there there is nothing more
gratifying than spinning across the dial ... hearing that weak signal
work another station.  You strain to listen to them work two maybe
three other stations so you can pull out the call and grid so you know
you've got them right and them make your call.  You may have to call
them several times before they pull you out of the noise but when
you've completed the Q and you are proud of your abilities to listen
into the noise pull out the info, and repeatedly call them until you
make the exchange.

Now "that's" a Q

--
Mike Urich KA5CVH