[VHFcontesting] This rover stuff is hard....

nosigma at aol.com nosigma at aol.com
Tue Jun 16 23:54:50 EDT 2020

Just so no one gets the wrong idea,  my "rove" neither a serious effort nor a prototype for future plans, just a very shallow dip of the toe in the water and a chance to see what this might be like.  My Jeep is so loud I never even operate mobile.

Logging:
A clip board with paper duct tape to the upper leg and a big wide tipped marker let me write one Q per page without looking. With only 4 on the move Q'S (HT, 5W, FM) it worked OK for this but safely logging will be big challenge if I try this on the move.
LESSON:  Shoot and Scoot or have the XYL drive (she thinks this would be something fun to do together).  Audio recorder is an excellent idea.  I used one in my first contest but wasnt helpful for a fixed station.  Never thought to bring it,  thank you Jim.

Hands "free-er"
With the HT I had to wait until there was no traffic ahead or behind before calling, then set it down to "scrawl/log" then pick it up again to complete the Q, then set it down again to write if needed.
LESSON: A PTT on the wheel, a single ear head set with microphone off the headset would seem ideal.

With the XYL move to KS done and 7 months of geo-batch ahead I should have plenty of time to work on the crew cab short bed F-150 set up.

Thanks for the comments, advice & pics given on this and the earlier F-150 rover set up request post.

73
John
KM4KMU