[VHFcontesting] Fwd: VHF Contests Rules Discussion and Proposal

jimk8mr at aol.com jimk8mr at aol.com
Mon Mar 16 20:28:52 EDT 2020

I generally agree with the proposal, with one exception:
There should be only two distinctions, "Analog" and "Digital".  The former would include CW as well as FM/SSB. The later would cover the digital modes.
Essentially it is a distinction between modes that can be copied by ear, and those that cannot.
Separating CW and Voice creates a problem: how to handle mixed mode QSOs. Over the years, probably more than half of my QSOs with W2SZ/1 have been mixed mode, or at least started with mixed mode by me calling their 2M SSB station using CW when they couldn't copy me on SSB. Moving to the other bands sometimes resulted in 2XCW QSOs; other times it was SSB <> CW.
I have no strong opinion on scoring Voice vs. Digital, but would lean to simply giving equal points for the two modes, retaining more points for QSOs on the higher bands.

73   -   Jim  K8MR