[VHFcontesting] An idea for the sprints.

Chet S chetsubaccount at snet.net
Fri Oct 2 09:24:30 EDT 2020

Hi Dave,

Many contests suffer the tapering off of activity after a while. Monday night football, super-bowls, debates, Sunday afternoon sweepstakes doldrums, family time, etc.
And nowadays we are constantly pressed to add something "new and better" into our lives, and if we take more on, then there is less relax time for our other stuff.

Maybe I'm old school but still highly enjoy hearing a weak signal, turning the beam to peak it, and trying to work it. Ahhh, that xyz station improvement I made this summer is working...or not...or pick a beam direction and go fishing to see what you can catch. Make your own decisions when and whether to call toward a population density direction or toward missing grids. SSB vs. FT8. To me that is the name of the game. I do not like the idea of pre-arranged contacts or arranging them in real time, that seems more like DXing than Contesting and not very satisfying.

The sprints are a good fun break from the workday, but are 4 hours a bit much? It's supposed to be a sprint not a marathon, so maybe with shorter hours the station activity would be more consistent throughout.

73,
Chet, N8RA