[VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Night for August 3, 2021

David Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Mon Aug 2 10:53:34 EDT 2021

I have been skipping out from many of my social duties this summer in
order to be there for 222 night. The XYL has been very understanding.
She knows that I am busy on Tuesday evenings. I usually arrange to be
home for the entire day and get some other work done as well.

This Tuesday is an exception. We have a visiting couple of couples this
week. (Four of them!) They will be visiting us at our camp/lakeside
cottage up north. They arrive Tuesday afternoon and I will be there
instead of on 222 MHz at 7 PM. There is no way I can get out of it, but
I promise to back next week on August 10. I know all you "regulars" know
what to do.....Get on in the evening and make noise on 222.  It isn't
hard.  In my absence that usually means the band will open up for
something great. Maybe we'll have an aurora, or maybe some sporadic Es
that peaks up above 222?

Sadly, I'll miss the festivities. Lately I have been working on the 222
tower and H frame, getting ready to add elevation to the four long
yagis. I am having a special plate system welded up and as soon as that
is finished and I can drill a few holes in it, I will be ready to put
the EL rotator up. I even have a new Prosistel azimuth rotor to replace
the cranky one that is up there now. The two C clamps holding it
together are getting rusty and aiming it is a crap shoot, but it is
still functioning after a fashion. I won't know what to do when I get an
accurate azimuth readout again.   Good luck to all on Tuesday!

73

Dave K1WHS