[VHFcontesting] MAST FOR ROVERS

Ethan Miller K8GU ethan at k8gu.com
Tue Aug 10 09:51:25 EDT 2021

Like Ron, WZ1V, I've used the DX Engineering 0.12-inch wall 6061 to build
masts for a scientific project in Puerto Rico where they support antennas
about the size of a 6m Moxon.  I used three sections overlapped by about 1
foot and guyed at two levels with 3mm Mastrant-M; we pinned them
6-inches/90 degrees apart with 5/16-inch bolts.  This is very easy to work
with and can be handled by one person (in full disclosure, I'm 40 and was
34 at the time I set up the experiment).  These masts survived a direct hit
from Hurricane Irma, followed by a glancing blow from the more infamous
Maria.  It was quite something to see them still standing with destruction
all around in the aerial survey imagery after the storm.

73,

--Ethan, K8GU.

http://www.k8gu.com/
Repair.  Re-use.  Re-purpose.  Recycle.