[VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Night RADIOS

k3sk at buckwalter.co k3sk at buckwalter.co
Thu Dec 23 09:52:23 EST 2021

>From a single operator perspective, the 5 band transverter may be a cost-effective solution, but for contesting, I see it as a major disadvantage that is more significant than using the 3-band Kenwood rig I have.    It's impossible to monitor (listen) activity across all the bands while working any single band.   You never know when a new grid/call might pop up on any given band during the contest period.     I have complete separate gear for 50MHz & 222MHz.    My 144, 432 and 1296MHz are all on one rig (TS-790A) where I can listen to two bands simultaneously.    I also recently acquired a transverter for 902MHz that uses a 2 meter IF that I need to get hooked up.    It will most likely use a dedicated 2 meter rig for the IF, keeping the TS-790A available as it is.   And I will probably shift it to 145MHz.

de K3SK
FM07th

-----Original Message-----
From: N1BUG <paul at n1bug.com>
Sent: Thursday, December 23, 2021 7:24 AM
To: vhfcontesting at contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 222 Activity Night RADIOS

On 12/22/21 1:57 PM, mike repinski via VHFcontesting wrote:
> Are there any opinions on the new multiband transverter that Down East
> was selling. Not sure who makes them? Mike

I'm not aware of DEMI having on that is actually being sold yet, and at
1 watt I'm not quite sure what their intended market is. I do know I'm not it. :-)

Q5 Signal does have 25W and 50W 5 band transverters. I seriously considered that route to save space and it would be like getting one band for free. What convinced me not to is that there is only one power/drive level adjustment that affects all bands. That would create too much hassle messing with attenuators to get the right drive level for amplifiers on the different bands. I'm sure it is a wonderful option for some who don't have that problem or don't mind the expense and time dealing with it.

73,
Paul N1BUG