[VHFcontesting] 222 MHz Activity Night

David Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Tue Jun 1 14:13:01 EDT 2021

Hi VHFers

It is Tuesday and the night for 222 MHz activity. The Hepburn map shows
stinko conditions just about everywhere, so all the more reason to get
on the band and see what you can do.  I usually start after dinner at
about 7 to 7:30 local time and make noise on 222.100 plus or minus.
Things usually slow down at 0130 or 0200 UT, but I try to stay active
until after 0200UT or 10 PM local time. If we ever get some tropo or an
aurora on a Tuesday, I am sure I could stay busy much later. A rip
snortin' aurora is reason enough to stay up all night!

If you have not been on for the activity night yet, it is a good idea to
check the ON4KST chat page (144-432 Region 2)  Lots of folks set up
skeds using ON4KST.  Then there is Ping Jockey and HB9Q as well for
meteors and EME as well.  The real reason to get on is to have some
guaranteed activity on one day a week so that people can get on the band
and hear something rather than just band noise. Local activity is just
as good as long haul CW skeds or digital MS contacts. The idea is to get
on and occupy the band.

I am looking forward to having my HV supply turn on gently all by
itself. I finally got it running just as I want it.  Now the next task
is to make an aluminum cover to keep falling things and curious fingers
out of the HV supply.

CU tonight, I hope.

Dave K1WHS