[VHFcontesting] [NEWSVHF] 222 MHz Activity Night

David Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Thu Jun 3 12:59:32 EDT 2021

I got on for 222 MHz activity night on Tuesday, and had a blast. A few
new faces showed up, which is very good. WA1LWC had a great signal with
5 watts and a HB quagi from Upton, MA, near Worcester.  AF1T was on as
well from FN43 and made a few contacts . My total QSO tally for the
night was 14 stations. I never did complete with K3WHC. We had a nice
start to a QSO, but then Steve disappeared. A very high noise level was
the culprit. Later on, I called him again but he could not hear me due
to the same noise level. He was a good 559 here in Maine.

I read WZ1V's report, and was amazed at the stations he worked that I
did not hear.  I was pretty busy all night and I guess that means that
everyone else in the NE was busy too and we never got to the bottom of
the barrel!  It is just a matter of lining up the beams at each end at
the right time and making noise!

Terry, W1TR listened at 7:30 PM and heard no one on 222.100. I can't
believe that he didn't hear anything. I was right on 222.100 at that
time making noise.   I moved off .100 when the activity started picking
up, but I was there at 7:30 PM.  Before 7:30, the only people I heard on
222  were KA2LIM and W9KXI, both in FN12. Others started showing up
after 7:30 PM.   Here are my log entries for the evening:

23:15  KA2LIM  FN12    309 Miles
23:24    W9KXI  FN12  311 miles
23:37    KA1SU  FN42    36 miles
23:40    K3WHC    FN10  378 miles    not complete
23:49    WA1LWC    FN42   92 miles  5 watts
23:51    AF1T    FN43    46 miles
00:04    WZ1V    FN31    166 miles
00:05    WA1T    FN43    2.5 miles  (My closest distance record!)
00:34    KO4YC    FM17    513 miles
00:36    K1PXE    FN31    188 miles
00:45    K3WHC    FN10    378 miles   not complete
00:49    WB2RVX    FM29    322 miles
0100    NZ3M    FN10    372 miles
01:06    W1GHZ    FN34    95 miles
01:15    K1RZ        FM19    431 miles
01:32    VE3DS    FN03    430 miles

K3WHC was having noise problems which prevented a complete QSO. He was
559 here for both attempts.  A few regulars did not show up last night.
Often, it is possible to work VE3ZV in EN93 at 467 miles, and VA3ELE in
FN03 at 437 miles. For some reason, I missed VE2XX near Montreal. He was
on, but I missed him.

CU all next week on 222 MHz. With the month of June we are getting into
better meteor scatter times. Maybe we can pull off an MS QSO on activity
night?

73

Dave K1WHS